Happy 2017 - January Update

Well, 2016 is done and gone, with a lot of us saying, "tbh, worst year" (and maybe it wasn't, maybe it was us who were the worst, and even it it was the worst, this year could take it as well).

I ended the year at a nice chill party in Rotterdam with some good people and some hilarious firework moments that were no fault of my own. And kitties! Then it was back to work today.

These past few months have been super busy - I held off on vacation until September (my parents visited for a bit, it was great to see them but also a lot of effort), and then was quite ill for the last week. And since then, it's been like I'm always running to the next thing (work, volunteer stuff, my social life). There have been some delays in my project that were unavoidable. And I'll admit, I haven't been dealing with the pressure as well as I ought to have - it's made me pretty anxious and tired, and there's work on my plate that should have been dealt with by now. I didn't recognize it at first, but my old pal Procrastination has come back and now I'm swimming in it a bit.

Luckily, I've considered the period of New Years to be more beneficial than useless. Not the whole "writing the correct year" thing - that takes me about 3 or 4 months to master. But rather, allowing to time period where not everyone is back at the office and you have a sense of renewal - that's when I like to try a reset. Last year, it even worked (I quit smoking!). So with that, I'm going to do better to waste less time procrastinating (such as in the mornings when I look at my phone for 20 minutes instead of getting ready) and more time addressing my anxiety and TCOB - taking care of business.

And looking forward to the new year! Hopefully I'll have some data, I'll align some genomes, I'll go to conferences and present posters and give talks. And not worry so much about my progress compared to my peers, but rather make sure that my progress and my goals align, and that my expectations are achievable.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to going to Switzerland in a couple of weeks for a BINGO network meeting, and a BINGO summer school to Vienna in May. And hopefully some work trips to Poland, Japan, and/or Malaysia (wooo!). We're planning a summer vacation to Iceland, and this year, I want to go back to Edmonton for Christmas. Throw in some city trips, and I'll be set.

I'm coming up on living in Utrecht for a year, which is pretty huge considering all the places I've lived over the past 5 years. I've been taking my sweet time settling in, and have been busy and ill, but now I feel like it's time to settle in to Utrecht and really get to know the city and keep building my community here. Furthermore, I want to spend more time with my awesome boyfriend, who's a super supportive and helpful man, and I love that we can both be each others support when it's needed <3 br="">

Which leads to this blog and what it's purpose is. For now, I'll keep it as a place for occasional updates and a space for my scientific writing, but I want to figure out what to do with my limited time instead of trying to do everyone at once like I've tried before. So. I'll try to make more posts that aren't science related if I'm feelin' it, since I've been on a bit of a hiatus from blogging, but I also want to use this space to work on some ideas and forms that I'm thinking about.

So, to 2017, and less procrastinating!

Comments

  1. If you are looking for a All Type Government jobs and want to make a career in Government Service then Apply urgent opening

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts